Prospective couples may file their Marriage Intentions at the Town Clerk's Office during regular business hours. Fee: $40.00
Requirements For Obtaining a Marriage License:
- Both parties must be 18 years of age or older. Under-aged parties must obtain a court order.
- Both parties must apply jointly in person at the town clerk's office.
- If a person is in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident.
- Marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date the intentions are filed and may be used only in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Mandatory waiting period from the date of filling the intentions to the date the license is issued.
A court waiver may be obtained after filing intentions by applying to the judge of a probate or district court. After a hearing explaining the extraordinary or emergency circumstances, the court may issue a certificate allowing the marriage license to be issued without delay.
Premarital Medical Certificates
Not required after January 28, 2005.
Divorced or Widowed
- Divorced individuals must be certain that his/her divorce is absolute.
- Widowed individuals have no special requirements to remarry.
Out-of-State Clergy or One-Day Solemnizer
If an out-of state member of the clergy is to perform the marriage, the clergyperson must obtain a Commission from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. This Commission must be returned to the Town Clerk where the license was issued.
Special One-Day Solemnizer must obtain a Commission from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. This Commission must be returned to the Town Clerk where the license was issued.
These Commissions may be obtained from: Secretary of the Commonwealth, Commissions Division, 17th Floor, One Ashburton Place, Boston, MA 02108.